Having a last word

I expressed a view recently in support of fellow technology coordinators. Unfortunately, a vigorous conversation has been curtailed by resorting to name-calling and demeaning comments. Well that’s a shame, because it was an important topic that was gaining some momentum.

It’s all too easy to slap somebody down when they don’t agree with you.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this was a forum for openly expressing views and discussing them, without fear of of being shouted down. Perhaps I expressed myself too strongly, with passion and concern. As a teacher and a technology coordinator I am able to see both sides of the story, and I understand where both groups are coming from.

Mr Meyer is entitled to his views and I respect very much the engaging activities that he prepares for his students. I also admire his publication of the thinking processes that underpin his lessons. He has a wealth of experience in using technology to facilitate the learning of mathematics and further more, he makes it fun.

Now if only all teachers behaved as he does in “taking responsibility for the engagement of his students”. If only all teachers looked for resources, created resources, shared ideas and asked questions as Mr Meyer does.

If this were the case, there would be no need for technology coordinators at all.  But then again, maybe that’s taking it to extremes as well.

4 thoughts on “Having a last word

1. Well, you’re not the first Graham to cross swords with Dan, but even accounting for the fact that I really don’t know Dan well enough to assume anything but I reckon what you might view as “name calling” could be also seen from his angle as just inventive wordsmithing. I reckon there’s enough difference between the States and Oz in terms of what we expect our tech coordinators should be doing that cultural crosswires may have been entangled. There are teachers who cannot be persuaded by even the most passionate salesman that technology is the most enhancing way to make your teaching relevant – Ken Rodoff left a great comment on my blog where he pointed out that it is “pointless to water the rocks.” I still think that having fruitful discussion in text based blogs is quite difficult to achieve because of the multiple way words can be interpreted – my clever turn of phrase could be your veiled insult. Give Dan the benefit of the doubt – but expect that he should do the same for you.

2. Thanks Graham, I am buoyed by your comment. I agree that unless we try harder to give each other some leeway, this medium can be a pointless exercise in pushing personal barrows.

3. > It’s all too easy to slap somebody down when they don’t agree with you.

Are you talking about me and you here? Or you and the teachers you work with?

I think Graham W. rightly points at the imperfection of this medium, which often has us extrapolating heavily and guessing wildly at tone.

In our case, your comments at the end of “dear dan” might have been exaggerations for effect but, man, regardless, they indicated strong antipathy for the common teacher, antipathy that’s gonna get a good cause nowhere.

I’m glad to have misinterpreted you.

4. Dan, I was talking about you and the way you have treated me. However, after reading the comments from Christian and Jeremy on Dear School 2.0: Please Stop, I see that this is one of your ways of getting a conversation going.
    You are very quick to make assumptions and ascribe motives. Its interesting that Scott McLeod, who started this conversation going with his Right of refusal post thinks you are ” ….provocative, which of course sometimes provokes people. Your sentiments and underlying intents and willingness to upset the apple cart are fabulous – sometimes your language gets too strident and gets in the way of your message”.

I suppose you threw the bait out and I swallowed it. I will be more careful next time and avoid falling into the trap. You are very protective of the teachers in your camp (School 1.5) but you showed a degree of antipathy towards the technology coordinators who you still observe are failing to meet your expectations.

Well I suppose its time we both got on with our respective jobs in the best ways that we both see fit.