Digital Revolutions

Yesterday, I attended the Sydney leg of the road show called the Digital Revolution Symposium. It was a smoothly-run affair aimed at informing us of the directions and decisions being made, by the government, regarding the Prime Minister’s technology-in-schools push.

Judy O”Connell has blogged an account of what we heard at Hey Jude, so I won’t repeat it here.

What is clear is that my College leadership team needs a big tick for having the foresight and fortitude to move us along the ICT continuum. Regardless of the planning and vision associated with these decisions, there will always be a degree of discomfort to be overcome or just lived with.

What we heard yesterday underlined the necessity of making the commitment and following it through. There were no dissenting voices from the 150 or so representatives of all educational systems.

I am thankful to be at a school that has begun the journey. There are many rude awakenings for the schools who will have their hardware delivered shortly. We all know that it is not really about technology at all, it’s about changing the learning processes inside the classrooms, and that is a long and stressful journey.

Good to see that the government recognises this with some financial aid for professional development. However, I think the PD needs to occur well in advance of the hardware being delivered. In fact, it shouldn’t be delivered at all, until a school can demonstrate readiness. The test should not relate to the ratio of computers to students.

What would a readiness test look like? And how would a school indicate they had achieved such a state?